Thursday, February 17, 2011

Crushed

Kirsten got crushed on Valentine's Day. Okay, it was actually on Friday but it led up to an eventful weekend. One thing our family is not shy on is drama.
Friday afternoon I got a call from the school saying her fingers (the middle three) had been shut in a door. She was shaken and hurt and wanted to come home. They swelled up and were bruised pretty bad. The sad part was that they were closed in the hinge side of the door and it had clicked shut so somebody had to open it for her to get her hand out. On Sunday afternoon the pain increased and so did the redness in the ring finger which led to an ER visit that night. It turned out that she had broken the tips of the middle and ring fingers and had to have her ring finger drained of the infection. Almost a week later and she is still pretty bruised but not as swollen. My guess is, is that she will lose all three of the fingernails.

5 comments:

ShayLynn said...

Looking at the picture and thinking about how tight they were closed in the door makes me sick to my stomach!! Hope she continues doing well!

grannybabs said...

Just reading about it hurts!! Give her a hug from us!!

Betsy said...

ohhhhhhh. So sad. I had that happen to me a couple times as a child. Once my fingers were shut in the hinge side of the basement door. And then another time the got shut in the car door which was locked. and I couldn't get it unlocked very quickly for some reason. Not sure why now. But it hurt. Tell her that I think she is a brave girl and that I hope she get's better quickly. She can join the broken bone club going on at our house. We also have a club for those with internal metal holding them together. So far it's Toby and me and Nate. NOt a club that I hope she joins. Hope she feels better soon.

Merilyn said...

OUCH!! Poor little girl. I hope she heals quickly.

Doug just recently did something similar. Only his finger ended up being smashed in the engine of a truck. He broke the tip of his middle finger and his fingernail just fell off about a week ago. UGLY!

Weeks said...

Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bless her heart! and fingers too;)