Thursday, January 20, 2011

"cleaning" up my act


I haven't done laundry since Sunday. I have lots of ironing waiting for me too. When I get home after work and after doing all of the kids other things, it's all I can do to cook dinner. I made a 2 week menu on Saturday with the intention of not eating out and not going back to Wal-Mart (with the exception of bread and milk which I will do at a local store out here) til the first of the month. It was close today, but I've made it.

Back to my other point. I see how easy it would be to become a hoarder. Not really a hoarder but one of those people that live in junk. I don't like it. It's not me, it stresses me out to have my place messy but lately I'm slacking and I haven't really cared. (I've been known to take half a day off just to clean my house.)

So after a day like today: working, visit-teaching, picking up McKay and going to her contest award ceremony (which she won honorable mention and received $10 out of the entire city of seventh graders with 381 essays submitted. As she said best, "It's getting paid to do my homework.") and then picking up the kids. I came home to a disaster. I'm sure you don't believe me but it was. Dishes and dinner out from the night before, counters piled from Jacob doing homework late at night, untidy bedrooms, games and toys out and dirty laundry piled high in my bedroom. I delegated most jobs as I did a few, sorted laundry, and got dinner ready and now my upstairs is spotless. Its amazing how fast my kids have learned to help. I used to do it all by myself because I liked it done my way but now it's different. If having a busy and complicated life has taught me anything its that my kids need to learn how to work too. Kirsten will often complains that McKay didn't have to do this at her age. Lucky her that she knows how to do it at a younger age than McKay.

So while I spend the weekend doing loads of laundry (it's one thing that I still do as I'm very picky on how it's done) and my kids putting it away, and as we are trying out a new recipe, (chicken cacciatori) we'll be playing games as I've promised the kiddos, one being Monopoly.

4 comments:

Earl and Vickie said...

I "helped" with the laundry once when the kids were little. They boys ended up with pink underwear. But I learned that you don't put red sweatshirts in with the whites. Vickie says that after the laundry I gave one of the kids a haircut, and she has a picture to prove it.......

ShayLynn said...

So funny... 2 meals on your menu are on ours! Love your taco recipe you shared with me years ago - it's our fav! We will be having sloppy joes as well but I found a recipe for zuchinni fries that we will be having with ours so if you want to try it as well let me know and I will send it your way!

Too many times we feel overwhelmed and stressed out because of our homes and we need to remind ourselves of all the things we actually do DO on a daily basis not all the things we don't get done!

amy k said...

Shay,

I would love the recipe. Just send it over, either on fb or my email.

Thanks!
P.S. Yes, I do think we need to get together an old roommate reunion : )

Laura said...

Wow you guys are moving to Texas?! Sounds fun to start out a new adventure!! I have always wanted to do a meal plan and stick to it- I swear we are at Target nearly daily, it is ridiculous. Hopefully you feel more collected today so you can play all weekend!