Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Owl always Love you!

Lately, it seems like I'm always late. I consistently run five minutes late for anything, no matter how hard I try.  And now it seems like my posts are always two weeks behind.  I guess it's better late than never right?
I was a cabin mom for the Third levels this year.  I had 13 girls that were in my "family".  Only two from my ward.  This was fun because I got to meet new girls.  We brought little handouts for them so I decided to go with an owl theme.  Since the first night we had FHE on the 100th anniversary of girls' camp, Jacob helped me come up with an idea on making a journal.  I had tried to find cute but cheap journals at the dollar store and struck out.  So he designed and sewed these adorable journals for the girls.  On the back, I came up with the quote, "Remember Hooo loves you." 

On Tuesday, I handed out hand sanitizers and had put an owl sticker on them with a card saying, "Owl promise to be clean....100 ideas on how to make it to the temple."
On Wednesday I handed out these fun rice owls.  You can throw them in the microwave and use them as heating pads, or the girls even put them in the freezer and used them to cool down.  They did take a couple (understatement) more hours then I expected but I was trying to keep the cost down and used my scrap materials. 

On Thursday, I handed a "stress reliever" bag that had bubbles, a punch balloon, and a candy necklace.

And finally, on Friday, I had a cute little owl printout that had a fold up of an owl that you wrapped around a fun size candy bar (I used skittles and starbursts) that said, "Owl miss you, have a fun summer!" 

I really am not that creative.  I got ideas off of the internet (I finally went on Pinterest) and went from there.  Although I was quite impressed and happy with the results.
Jake and McKay crashed on Sunday as I was trying to get everything done, together, and also packed.  I only got 45 minutes of sleep that night which led up to the next five days totaling just less than 13 hours of sleep.  I was okay and was fine with it but somehow it stressed Jacob out.  He informed me that the next time I wanted to take on a craft, I had to get approval from him.  I guess I should mention that this wasn't my first "craft all-nighter" project.  I'll have to show you my journal jars in a later post!

2 comments:

grannybabs said...

Love your Owl theme handouts!! We used to do stuff like that for camp - I went as an adult leader for 15 years straight - but apparently they don't do anything like that anymore - like they don't allow it. Which I think is a shame - because my own girls still remember it! Glad it's not a church-wide issue!

ShayLynn said...

The good old memories of girls camp! It looks like you had an amazing time! I Love your owl theme... It doesn't surprise me that you went above and beyond since you are just that kind of person!

So where exactly are you in Texas? Do you love it more than Utah?