Sunday, October 14, 2012

Another great find (recipe)

I was going to say, "Not much is going on in our lives to blog about", but that's not necessarily the truth.  We are busy in every aspect of our lives.  

I'm one that loves a good (and easy) recipe to try that comes well recommended.  Here is one of them.  I'm always very weary when it comes to Indian food because sometimes recipes don't come together.  We love the coconut curry at Tarka so I have been looking for a recipe that I could make at home. I was pleasantly surprised with this one.  It smelt good, was easy to follow, and tasted really good.  So I'm posting it to share.

Coconut Chicken Curry
from melskitchencafe.com

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 TBSP vegetable oil
2-2 1/2 TBSP curry powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika 
1/2 onion, thinly diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed (I used 1 tsp minced garlic)
4 medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes, Italian style
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
3 TBSP sugar
Hot cooked Rice (I used Basmati)

Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.  Heat oil, curry powder, and paprika in a large skillet (wok) over medium-low heat for two minutes until fragrant, BUT don't let it burn.  Turn the heat up to medium and stir in onions and garlic and cook 7-9 minutes more until onions are clear.  Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil and cook for 7-10 minutes.  Add potatoes, coconut milk, tomatoes (I crushed the Italian tomatoes in a bowl prior as my kids don't like eating chunks of tomatoes) tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes. **** I made this earlier in the day and got to this point and instead of simmering in the pan I made it and put it in a crock pot and let it sit in low heat for 4-5 hours.  This made it really easy come dinner time and the flavor was really good.  The sauce thickens slightly upon standing.  Serve with rice (and naan!)

This dish is sweet with a little spice.  (None of my kids said it was spicy hot though).  Its definitely a must with naan!



No comments: