Tuesday, July 11, 2006

One of our own little miracles!

KATANYA IS HOME!!!!!! Who would have though 23 days ago that this little miracle would be home and breathing and eating on her own? When we went into the hospital this morning to feed, the doctor came to us and said she was ready to go home. She had eaten all of her feedings yesterday and there was no problem with her oxygen. We brought our carseat in for her "carseat challenge" (this is where they hook them up to the moniters and watch them for an hour in the carseat to make sure they can handle it.) I then quickly began running around trying to get things ready to bring her home. They had told me last night that she would be home by the weekend but I never thought it would be today. McKay made it home and shortly after we picked her up and brought her home. I have gone from two kids back to four. Wow!

The kids are so excited. They all want to be big helpers and hold and feed her. As she gets bigger and a little time goes by, I won't be so paranoid. I sometimes feel like a first time mother with a preemie.Jake and I teased this morning about how we wanted to wait til August to start trying for a baby. Then when things "happened" we had said we would be in our new house before the baby was born. Then more things happened and we were hoping to be in the new house by the time the baby came home. Now we are just happy to have the baby home. Sometimes you don't have control of the situations you are given.

She looks so tiny in her carseat. She looks a lot bigger than when she was first born. She has gained more than a pound in a little over three weeks. When the doctor told us she would be going home today. Jake looked at me and said, "How come you didn't tell me?" I had no idea either. He is a little more nervous than me having her home. I have been with her more in the hospital and seen how well she was doing. I suprisingly wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. Must be the "mother" instincts.


Her is a picture of her dressed and all. Right now the preemie clothes fit perfectly. If she is anything like Kirsten, they won't fit for long! Once again, we are very thankful and appreciate all the love and prayers that have gone out to us! I know that is what helped our whole family. Thanks for all that also came out and helped! WE LOVE YOU!

12 comments:

traci said...

Wonderful!!! We spent three days in the NICU hearing that Natalie would go home "tomorrow". We stopped believing it - just so my emotions would level out.

I spent the first night scared that Natalie would stop breathing again. Everything was fine. Best of luck to you.

Natalie's story is in our June archives.

Felipe and Erika said...

Yeah! Congratulations. I am so happy she is home! Keep me posted!

Eliza said...

Oh I'm so happy for you all! Now the real fun begins. ;)

Donna said...

Happy Day! I am so happy you got her home so quick. Just enjoy her!

grannybabs said...

Wonderful news!! We'll keep you in our prayers for a successful transition home!

Phoebe said...

Hooray!

Keli said...

Congratulations! It's always so fun to bring home a new baby, especially after what you guys have been through. She looks so cute, she doesn't have the "preemie" look about her anymore. Must be all that food. Best of luck!

Alice said...

We are so glad that she is home. I can't comment at work so I am doing it here at home. She looks wonderful. You are all always in our prayers.

bonny with a Y said...

Hooray!! I'm so glad things are working out so well.

And I think you're right, you can only plan so much, before the Lord steps in.

Earl and Vickie said...

Awesome guys!!!That's really great!!!

Mike said...

YEA!!! I'm so glad that she is home. I know you will enjoy every second with her. We're in UT until Aug 7th, let us know if you come down, we'd love to see you!

Min

Betsy said...

I am so glad for you guys. We can't wait to see you tomorrow.