Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

I have a love / hate relationship with Halloween. I think there is more hate than love. I can't think of anything I really like about it. But I love my kids so I bear with it. And I love that my kids do look pretty darn cute!
As I mentioned in my last post I had 4 days to make the two girls' costumes and 3 days after that to make Jacob's. I hate deadlines but I made it. I finished at midnight this morning. (Hannah, I have to say I thought of you and your love of gnomes as I was sewing these costumes.)
McKay is "Rapunzelgnome." She had to personalize her costume with her own touches. Cruz was a ninja (again) but with swords this year. Kirsten was another gnome and Katanya is supergirl. We had to add a little extra length to her costume. It's so hard to find decent costumes. I guess that it is one bonus to making your own costumes.
The whole gnome idea came from Jacob. He found a toddler gnome costume, took a picture and decided that was what he wanted to be. The girls copied with a girl gnome. All I had was two pictures. I'm very grateful for the sewing basics I learned awhile ago. I have to add that as I was sewing his costume, he was the pickiest one of all. It took everything I had to laugh it off. But it ended up pretty amazing if I say so myself. Back to Jacob's costume....
Not only is he a gnome BUT....
He is Super Gnome.
And not only is he Super Gnome, he is....
Nerdy Super Gnome.
McKay came in late last night and asked what was on the cape. Jacob explained that Gnome was also an operating software program and that the logo on the cape was the logo for the software. She paused for a minute and said, "Dad, you just made your costume nerdy." His reply, "That's the best part."

I hope everyone has a safe, fun, and Happy Halloween.

7 comments:

Maria Cordner said...

Fabulous work! My kudos to you because I feel the same way you do about Halloween but I don't go the extra miles! So, my respect is deeply felt because of how much you put into it! xoxos!

ShayLynn said...

Very impressive! You're just miss talented! And so what is your costume??!!

Blondie said...

They look so cute Amy! You are just a super MOM! And Jake takes the cake.... so fun!

Hannahtess said...

Amy! I think it's fantastic that you designed and sewed three gnome costumes in less than a week. Gnomes are so much fun. One year I was a gnome. As I'm not much of a sewer I used an old Santa hat, cut off the white fluffy ball at the end and stuffed it with newspaper! Your version is much nicer :)

Betsy said...

Cute Gnomes and ninjas and supergirls! You are awesome to accommodate the pickiness and to make a button-up shirt! You rock!

grannybabs said...

Great costumes - gnomes kind of grow on you!!!

Hester said...

I love the gnomes!! Also, I can totally picture Jake sitting next to you explaining his vision : ) andreas recognized the "gnome" software symbol right away.