Monday, January 03, 2011

Mmmmm.... Turkey.

Thanksgiving last year was all about the food. Almost everything was homemade. Rolls, 16 pies, the turkey, 10 lbs of mashed potatoes, the gravy (not the stuffing). It makes me tired just thinking about it. By the time it came time to eat, I just wanted my head to hit the pillow.
I hate to brag, but this turkey was the BEST turkey I have ever tasted, and yes Jacob agreed too. The first day it brined in orange juice and salt. The second day it marinated with herbs, spices, and orange and lemon slices. Then it was cooked with different vegetables, spices, herbs, and a bottle of champagne. Axel was excited about Thanksgiving so I was instructed to get a large turkey. It was 22 pounds.
The two youngest sat at a small table next to us. Sparkling cider is always a request on this special dinner.
Hannah and Maddy also joined us for the weekend of fun. I really enjoy when family visits!
And we didn't forget the candy game, although we substituted paper plates for the board. It worked just as good.

2 comments:

Laura said...

16 pies?! Dang! You should have been tired, that sounds like a lot of work! Your turkey sounds amazing though with the brine. Yum- all that flavor!! And cute pilsner glasses and love the family pics you had taken, they look awesome along the river!!

grannybabs said...

I can't imagine a table set for 6 - we are never that few in number - but it looks like fun - kind of intimate!!

And we did the number game this year at our New Year's party and it was a major success!! Once again I'm not sure how I never had heard of it before!!