Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sweet Potato Chicken Enchiladas!

Monday night at the grocery store, Jacob looked at me when I put my sweet potatoes on the scanner and said, "Yams? Why are you getting those?" No answer. I've always loved sweet potatoes or yams or whatever you want to call them.

I had found a recipe on my friends blog (Sara Ulrich) that looked worth trying. Last night was my trial night. I didn't tell my kids what I had put in there but simply that we were having enchiladas. They were excited as enchiladas (whether chicken or beef) are a favorite. After they had had one and were working on their second, I asked the kids if they could tell what was in there. They guessed everything but the sweet potatoes. McKay went for a third to try to figure it out. Needless to say when I told them they were amazed. I told them to not tell Dad until after he had eaten them, (as McKay and I had Mutual that night and I wouldn't be able to see it.)

Jacob texted me halfway through and said, "Surprisingly these sweet potatoes in the enchiladas are quite good." He ate his words!

So here is the recipe that all my facebook friends wanted. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

SWEET POTATO CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

1 1/2 of chicken breast - shredded
1 can of black beans
2 cups of sweet potatoes, boiled and diced
2 cups salsa - (I used Pace mild)
2 1/2 - 3 tsp. ground cumin

Mix these ingredients together in a bowl. Put in a tortilla shell, sprinkle a little cheese if you want (I love cheese) and roll up in a tortilla. (I actually used the small tortillas and it made 20. A regular size would make less.)
Then I put a little of La Victoria Red Enchilada Sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish and placed the enchiladas in it. I then covered them with the rest of the sauce (for this many I used a little shy of medium cans). Then I sprinkled cheese (colby jack / cheddar mix) on top.

Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes (covered with tin foil). The recipe called for 375 but my oven is hotter here so I stuck to 350. Best served with other vegetables on the side.
Enjoy!

*This fed our family of 6 plus gave us leftovers.

**The recipe called for La Victoria Red Enchilada Sauce. I had never used this one but decided to try it. It's now my favorite. It was also the most expensive in the store but sometimes you get what you pay for.

2 comments:

grannybabs said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe - I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Cassie said...

I made these the day I read the recipe and we loved them! That is saying something too, because Craig is kind of picky when it comes to new recipes. Thanks for this one. Glad Texas is being good to you -- we miss you all.