Wednesday, May 02, 2012

"The Life Cycle of a Road Trip"

We left for Kansas the Thursday before our race.
Since it was McKay's birthday weekend, I told her she could come and see Aspen or stay home.  She came but I also let her bring a friend so the 20 hours in the car wasn't boring for her (or annoying for us.) 
You can see that we were peppy and full of life.  The car ride included laughing, singing, talking, and playing a game called psychiatrist.  We learned a lot about each other and soon came up with our "KS road trip nick names."  Mandy was very good at getting us to our destination at the ETA the GPS gave us when we left.  That was including our gas and bathroom stops.
And we pulled some "touristy" photos along the way.  We have to have proper documentation.
McKay's friend, Amanda, turned out being from a family that Betsy new.  Back when they were in the Taylor ward, part of our ward was within their boundaries.  It really is such a small world.
Lawrence tries to claim that they are a twin sister to Austin.  Betsy told this when we got there and we actually ran into people that claimed this too.  It's not.  But I did like the fact that they were different and changed their signs.  I'm used to seeing "speed bump." Friday was our "take it easy after a drive day."  We went and drove the course and picked up our packets.

This new tool is one of my best friends.  After receiving a massage, I was sold.  I have a foam roller but this works my calves so much better and easier.  I know, I'm a sucker.  My first thought was, "this could help me with my Christmas gift that I gave Jacob".  My second thought was "now Jacob can give me a massage and it won't tear my muscles up or feel worse the next day."  And my last thought was, "This feels good."  Now Cruz will rub my legs and back down for a low cost. 10 minutes = $1.  
We ran our race and then that evening we went to the Kansas City Temple Open House.  It is a really gorgeous temple. 
You can see from our (or my) eyes that we are tired.  I was exhausted.  I wasn't able to take a nap after the race. 
 When I was a little kid, I remember being amazed by fountains.  I still am. 
 It still amazes me how peaceful and calm the feeling is when you walk through the doors.  It's so instant.  The rooms were amazing.  The chandeliers in the celestial room were hand sewn by community members.  The tour didn't last long enough.
Of course, we have to sport the stylish shoes! 
Nate spoiled us the next morning.  He got up and started making some of his famous waffles. He really is an amazing cook and we were all very grateful.
There were "real" chocolate waffles with vanilla ice cream, lemon poppy seed waffles with blueberry syrup, and ginger waffles with buttermilk syrup topped with pears.  I think I ate the most waffles in that sitting than I had ever eaten.
This was our final shot in Kansas before we started for home.  I was still exhausted. 
There was no game playing on the way home.  Mentally, I couldn't do it.  So the girls did this instead.  And, no this isn't a balloon....
  ....it was McKay's bubble from a whole package of Bubble Tape.
The car ride was a lot quieter.  Stacy summed it up best, "It's the Life Cycle of a Road Trip.  Although the last two hours went by quickly because we plugged my phone in and we played YouTube Videos of the classic older Young Women Songs.  There was Ordinary Hands, I Heard Him Come, Learn of Me, etc.  But our favorite was "I Walk by Faith," and we sang it with pride.  The girls didn't find it as fun as we did and finally said, "Can't you play any ones we know?" 

1 comment:

grannybabs said...

I had some fun "road trips" going up to the Women's Conference or Education Week, but it's been awhile. Congrats on your achievement, btw!