Monday, September 24, 2012

Day One: Bean Curry

Our weekly challenge:
To go a week without meat.  This was something McKay actually wanted to try so I went along with it.  I convinced Jacob to go along with me but only if I would give up soda and Icees.  I agreed and it's on!  (My kids just get to go along with it also.....)  So last night I spent way too long on Pinterest, looking up recipes.  This is why I'm not a member on Pinterest.  I'm afraid of how much I would be on there.  So tonight's dinner was BEAN CURRY.
(Also notice the new Fiestaware color, Flamingo!  Another color to add to the collection.)
It was so easy and simple, it smelled fabulous and was delicious!
Our opinionated results were:
Jacob: "Day1: Dinner was excellent. Did not even notice that the meat was missing." As he posted on facebook.
McKay:  Had seconds.
Kirsten:  Finished but wasn't too happy about it.
Cruz:  Loved it!
Katanya: Didn't want to eat it but she always is willing to try one bite.  She tried it and ate it all.  She loved it with the naan.
So here is the recipe: (I made a one and a half batch.  It was perfect for our family.  I had two servings left over.)
BEAN CURRY
(I got this recipe from melskitchencafe.com)
1 TBSP canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
pinch cayenne, or to taste
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Garam Masala
3/4 cup half and half
1 cup vegetable stock or chicken broth
1 can black-eyed peas, lightly drained
2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion; saute 5 minutes or until translucent & slightly browned.  Stir in garlic & grated ginger root; stir constantly for 30 seconds.  Add tomato; cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in garlic and grated ginger root; stir constantly for 30 seconds.  Add tomato; cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in turmeric, cayenne, salt, paprika, & garam masala; stir constantly for 30 seconds.  Add half and half, stock & black-eyed peas.  Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in cilantro.  Serve with rice, chapati, and / or naan.

I chopped the onion and tomato very fine and my kids didn't even know they were in there.  I also let it simmer for about 15 minutes because Jacob was running a little late.  It condensed down but it was where I wanted it to be in the end.

No comments: