Saturday, September 30, 2006

What did we see at the zoo, what did we see at the zoo zee zoo?

Saturday, I decided to take a break and take the kids to the small zoo in town. I have decided that it is the perfect size zoo for young children. Last week was "zoo appreciation" day where you get in for free but since it was SO cold and chilly (we are talking 5o's) they had changed it to today. This was a bonus. We enjoyed all the animals although Cruz was afraid of a few of them. Even though they were in cages or glass was between them. The two things he found interesting was the huge boa constrictor and the tiger.....go figure. Katanya actually was awake almost all of our zoo trip. She enjoyed the back seat in the stroller.

Our first stop was feeding the ducks. It was a good thing I had a lot of quarters in my purse. Between the duck food, a soda, and smashed pennies (which you have to pay with quarters), it emptied my change pocket. Cruz wanted the front seat of the stroller. He enjoyed putting all his duck food in the cup holder and throwing them in the pond, one by one.....This was Kirsten's favorite, the pygmy goats in the children's petting zoo. They spent over a half hour in here just petting all the different goats. I took Cruz in but he wouldn't get down, let alone pet one of them. So we enjoyed them outside of the fence.

The baby was the "funnest" to pet.

The kids infront of the lemurs. McKay's favorite were the monkey and apes. They had two white-haired apes that sat and played while we watched them.

Cruz sat and watched the Tiger for a long time. He didn't want to leave this exhibit.

After two and a half hours of the zoo, we had seen it all (like I said it's the perfect size). Since it was free admission I let the kids pick out a stuffed animal. That and they were 40% off. They had to pay for half of it though. Katanya was all smiles in the car. She has really started to express herself.McKay picked a koala she named Koola Cola..........Kirsten picked a zebra she named Stripes......Cruz picked a lion.......He was exhausted.

3 comments:

Hester said...

the zoo is always so cool. especially when you're a kid. i remember my parents promised to take me and hannah to the zoo if we cut our hair. i think i was about 7. anyways it was the most exciting thing ever. especially when we got to drink out of the lion drinking fountain!

amy k said...

what a reward. i take it you cut your hair. they even have the same lion drinking fountain that they have at the hogle zoo here.

traci said...

Our zoo can be done in about the same time. I wish they had more animals and I think it is small, however it's nice to only have to walk so far!!! I miss my membership!! The free day here happens in the middle of February. The one year I went it was SIX degrees outside!