Sunday, March 11, 2007

High needs

I have always said that Katanya is my "high needs" baby. That's because my other three were really really easy. I look at some of my friends and by far, Katanya falls short of high needs compared to their babies. Anyway back to the point. This sweet angel....
who has a really cute smile and has finally learned to fall asleep on her own....(emphasize on finally)

DESPISES

Food.

I have been feeding her baby cereal for awhile and at first when she didn't eat it, I thought it was because she was a preemie and it would take her longer. She finally took the cereal but now she will ONLY will eat the Oatmeal cereal. Not rice, not mixed, only oatmeal. I have tried to feed her baby foods, starting with the normal Gerber's first....like sweet potatoes or squash. Yeah right. She gags it in her mouth and the one time Jake got her to eat it he was wearing it five minutes later. Her lips are sealed and any particle that is in her mouth gets instantly spit out. So I thought she doesn't like the baby food and, like my others, will eat off the table. So I got the baby grinder out and grinded up some squash the other night. This is her reaction here....It happened again tonight with potatoes. Except the eyes were winced while her face was sealed and she was spitting. We were all laughing.
LOST!
I don't know what to do. Granted she is only 9 months I fear that she will soon be a year and still be nursing completely. Although the weight factor isn't an issue. She is well over 18 pounds.
So I guess I will keep trying and hopefully this will go somewhere, sometime.
P.S. Although here is something I didn't know. When we went in for her monthly "SYNEGIS" shot this week. The nurse gave my kids a lollipop, along with Katanya. I looked at her and said "She can't have that," thinking she would gag herself. Then she gave me this useful piece of knowledge I still have yet to google to see if it is true. "Sugar releases some enzyme that makes it so the pain isn't as bad. They give boys a "sugar pill" when they get circumsized to ease the pain."
So I did let her suck on the lollipop, which no suprise, she liked.
The funny part: Now Kirsten has gone around telling everyone that lollipops are a healthy food, and a nurse has told her so. So when you tell her to get a healthy treat, this is her response.
Smart kid.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

I can relate to the food problems. Hazel still is very picky about what she will and will not eat. Some days she likes it, then the next she hates it. You could try mixing oatmeal with the baby food. Isaac liked it that way. He wouldn't eat baby foods plain but would if they were mixed with oatmeal (he also only ate oatmeal).

Hester said...

hazel is extra weird. when i was in texas she wouls only eat rasberries at the grocery store. as soon as they were at home she wouldn't touch them. talk about crazy. ps: i'm getting really annoyed at my work's internet filter system. they block almost all the pics on blogs, apparently we have a lot of sexually explicit material running around on our blogs. stupid.

grannybabs said...

Most of my kids refused baby food - which was too bad because I was looking forward to finishing off the baby apricots and custard pudding - my personal faves.

I really don't remember when things changed - they all eventually ate food other than mother's milk however.

And I saved a lot of money on baby food.

Although Bonny loved Gerber Creamed Corn - which I thought was pretty nasty tasting.