Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Moab Marathon

(the rest of our road trip....i couldn't figure out the vidoe spot)

Saturday....marathon day. The time had finally come. Karl had given me great advice and said, "Your only goal is to beat Jacob". Jacob's last word's were, "I'm going to run with Big Harry for a mile and see if I can keep his pace."
We all finished is the good part. I am amazed at how well Hannah T. runs! Wow! I shake my head at how Jake finished with a 1:39. Amazing for someone who doesn't even run once before a race. The only thing that he could even come close to saying was training was his hunting episodes when they hiked mountains for days straight.

I am dissappointed in my knees and my time. I thought walking the pain off in my knee for a little bit would help it and then when I went to run again, it was ten times worse. I swore on Saturday I would never do another one. On Sunday, I was saying the complete opposite. I have to run another to at least redeem myself. I can't end with this one. Each night I keep trying to talk Jake into one.

I'm glad for Hannah K. who drove the first 3 hours after the race and watched all four of my kids while we were running. THANKS A BUNCH! We couldn't have done it at all without you. You went out of your way for us. :)
It made the last mile seem easier when Jake had walked back and ran (hobbled) the last mile with me. I have a great husband!
TOP FIVE THINGS (i've learned) NOT TO DO BEFORE OR DURING A HALF MARATHON

  1. Do not engage on an 800 mile road trip three days before a marathon.

  2. Do not sleep on the floor for three nights prior to a marathon.

  3. Do not nurse a baby while running a marathon (exspecially if you are gone for more than four hours and you're not used to it.)

  4. Eat more for breakfast than just one protein bar.

  5. Do not drive another 500 miles just after completing 13 miles. Your body will not forgive you!

After all my complaining though, it was a fun memory. I will have to make another one unforetuneately.

So we drove back to SLC that night and stayed with my parents. (Kirsten and grandpa)The next day we left home for Idaho and stopped for a couple hours at Erika's to have dinner. (click)

Jake and I both hobbled a little on Sunday. Although I am sure I looked just as funny, I had to video Jake and post it. (addicted blogger)

Then we finally made the slow and long journey home.

It's nice to have your own bed!

3 comments:

grannybabs said...

Couldn't get the video to play.

It was great to see you!

We need to get next year organized soon!!

You finished - in racing, that's all that counts!

amy k said...

Barbara, When is Moab next year? Do you know the dates already?

Eliza said...

It's usually the weekend closest to St. Patrick's Day.

Good job, Amy!