Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Honkers in New York City

Since our destination was so close to New York City, we couldn't help but take a day and enjoy Manhatten. There is no state sign because we took the train in from New Jersey. Although we only saw a "few" things, it is pretty amazing. We walked around for the first few hours until we found somewhere to eat. What a nightmare. Then we found a map and started sight seeing...... Jake commented that we looked like Honkers. I had never heard of this description but he explained it as being a family with four kids, sight seeing and sticking out like a sore thumb. He tried to tell me I stuck out even more because I refused to wear a coat. (It was chilly but nothing like Idaho or Idaho's wind). (The kids' coats were the ones that I got for five and eight dollars!)

We went to the top (86th floor) of the Empire State Building. You wait hours just to see this place. The view is worth it.With a stroller we did get a little special treatment. A few lines were cut and we didn't have to wait the entire time that we should have. Although New York City IS NOT stroller friendly. Although the only other option is I don't want my kids wandering loose on the sidewalks.I love this view. You can see how high up you are.Cruz's favorite part was the subways (or the choo choo's as he said). Many times walking down the street of New York we had several people say, "Four kids? WOW, you must be patient." The funny thing is here in Idaho it's just the opposite. "Four kids, that's all? And your done?"

Although one of my favorites was when Jake and McKay were walking infront of me and the kids in the stroller. Jake was carrying Katanya and a lady stopped him and said, "My what a beautiful family." Then she walked past me and the other two kids and she stopped and said "Four? My goodness. What a big family."

Even the missionaries stopped and talked to us, then they had to ask if we were L.D.S. McKay was really interested in ground zero. We had told her about that day and the people that were lost. She found it all very interesting. Another favorite of hers was the Empire State Building.

That night for dinner, we walked down to Little India after seeing Time Square. We found a delicious Indian "kitchen" called Handori (I think) that was so yummy. You were able to get 2 meat sides, 1 vegetable side, rice, naan, and a salad for 7 dollars. We stuffed ourselves (literally!) Cruz downed it without any complaining. He also downed about 6 glasses of water with it. The two girls complained a little but eventually ate their plates. My only regret is that I didn't buy another meal and take a bunch of dahl and chicken tiki masala with us. In fact, probably two more meals! I am still craving this little restaurant and their dahl. Kirsten's favorite was the statue of liberty. We saved this til last and took the ferry across where you were right infront of it. Then we turned around and took it back so the kids got double the view. Kirsten had spotted the statue on top of the E.S.B. (Empire) and had been talking about it ever since. I tried to take pictures of the statue but they didn't turn out because of the windows.

After this eventful day, we went back to New Jersey and spent the night. The next day was the whole point of the trip. Stay tuned......

3 comments:

Kaahl said...

honkers, schmonkers

Betsy said...

Sounds like you had a great trip. One day we'll take the kids. I still want to go back sans kids and see more. (especially the museums). Glad you got to go!!!

Hester said...

yay, sounds fun. i love new york! i want to be cool and live there one day.