Saturday, April 07, 2007

On the road again, and again, and again

So we have started the LONG journey from Idaho to ?????? (stay tuned to find out)We have our 240 hour supply loaded and ready.We were smart and stocked up with drinks, crackers, cookies, tortillas, sandwiches, lunch meat, treats, cereal, muffins, donuts and whatever else you can think of. We haven't stopped for food yet and we haven't had to eat out. It's been really convienent.
So we dropped off Sarah by the freeway to catch her shuttle and her plane back home. We started in Idaho at 1 p.m. on Thursday afternoon. We made it down to Malad to take some pictures of some ground for Dale and Alice. Jake came up with a clever idea of taking a picture of the road signs to "document" or "blog" or trip.

Utah was the first. From here it went to......

......to here, Wyoming. We had a nifty idea of driving all night and just rotating drivers to make it to ??????on Friday. It started out with good intentions. Jake was tired at about 10p.m. so I started driving......

We hit Nebraska at about 3:15 a.m. I was still driving and I wasn't tired. I think my adrenline had kicked in. Either that or eating Salt and Vinegar chips while drinking Diet Pepsi with Lime was quite the eye opener. About 20 minutes before this border it started snowing and getting a little heavier. It didn't look like it was sticking to the roads so I opted to keep driving. I woke Jake up to take the picture. Not long after this he was telling me his story of driving out with his dad on I-80 in his red pickup truck. He said that they going along and it was snowing just like it was here in this picture. Not long after Dale started sliding and fish-tailing going this way and that way. Miraclously they pulled out and they stopped in Sydney where they spent the night. I didn't think twice about it. About 5 miles after the border the snow was worse and I couldn't see everytime a semi-trailer passed me. We are also pulling a 24' enclosed trailers. So I was going about 35 mph and just inching along. About 35 minutes later Jake woke up to me saying a few surprising words (not bad though) and a high shrill. I was sliding sideways but luckily I quickly thought to turn on the 4WD and we were okay. Now I really wasn't tired. It was another 40 miles til the next rest stop. It took me a little over an hour to go that far. I kept hoping I would go around the corner and the snow storm would dissappear. No such luck. So at 4:30 a.m. we pulled into the rest stop where then my kids woke up and were all excited we were sleeping in the car. After another 30 mintues of getting situated and the kids to calm back down, we fell into what we called "sleep". At 6:30 a.m. we were off again and making our way across the country into this state......

......yes Jake missed his sign. He was trying to take a picture of the Missouri River "border" that he didn't see the sign in time. That and he was "telling" me how to drive. Anyway, a short drive in Iowa led us to......

......Missouri where we were finally seeing an end for a day and a night of sleep with a bed. After a couple hours we traveled into......

......Kansas where we headed to Aunt Leslie's house. We had dinner and a nice comfortale bed where we slept and relaxed. It's sorta a funny that we drop Sarah off at the airport only to see her the next day. We tried to convince her to drive out with us but for some reason she didn't want to. Today we spent the day......

......coloring eggs, going bargain shopping (I thought it would be warmer so I didn't bring coats, only jackets. Needless to say it's freezing! We went to a local mall and luckily we found coats on clearance! They are really nice and cute too! So I bought a size bigger but I have next year coats that I paid between 5 and 8 dollars for. I couldn't even beat that at home! Retail therapy is always nice.) It's been really fun to catch up with Leslie and her family. I wish we could stay longer. Tomorrow we are off too??????

P.S. Bonny, do you still want to travel like the Kerksiek's? Or at least us? I am not sure I do. :)

5 comments:

Hester said...

where are you guys going? i'm very curious. did jake buy another dump truck in maine?

Keli said...

I'm curious as well. It looks like you're having "fun". Your kids will definitely remember this trip. I'm excited to see where you end up.

Earl and Vickie said...

And you wonder why Sarah decided to fly instead of ride? I'm sure she loves you and all but its still a long time in a car.

Betsy said...

It isn't just you. We do the same thing. Austin to DC to Idaho to Southern Utah to Austin.

Betsy said...

That was Nate on the last post.

And this one.