Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Best Minestrone Soup

I should have gotten a picture. This soup was THAT good. It's my new favorite (and it's rather simple). It's from McKay's grandma, Merilyn. Here recipes have always been favorites such as Linda Brown Tacos (which Nate renamed to Amy's Famous Tacos). She tried to recreate Olive Garden's version and I think she beat it. Anyway she gave me permission to share so ENJOY!

2-3 TBSP Olive Oil
1 small onion, minced
1/2 cup zucchini, julienne sliced
1 stalk celery, minced
2 tsp. crushed garlic (jar in produce section)
4 Cans of Vegetable or Chicken Broth (2 boxes)
1 (14.5 oz.) can of Italian Green Beans, drained and rinsed
2 (15 oz.) cans of Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can of Great Northern or White Beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz.) can of Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can of Tomato Sauce
1/2 cup shredded carrots (you can buy a bag of shredded carrots in the produce section too)
1/2 - 1 tsp. Parsley
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 - 1 tsp. Black pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp. Basil
4 Cups of Hot water
2 Cups Chopped Cabbage
1/2 Cup small Seashell Pasta (it doesn't seem like a lot but....Don't put more!)
****you can also add spinach if desired.

Heat Olive Oil in 10qt. stock pot. Saute onion, zucchini, celery, and garlic in the oil until the onions begin to turn translucent. (I threw my onion and celery in the food processor to mince them. My kids couldn't even tell they were in it.) Add broth, beans, tomatoes, carrots, spices and water. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes. Add cabbage and pasta and cook for another 20 minutes or until desired soupy thickness. Serve with real grated Parmesan cheese on top. (She sometimes add stew meat to this. Brow and cook (braise) for about 1 hour before adding.

***BONUS****Today I cooked a roast during church and then when I got home I shredded it and added it on the last step.

It was simply DELICIOUS! Katanya and Cruz loved it and ate every bite in their bowl. McKay asked to take some for her lunch at school and I'm already looking forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

sounds like a winner! I think I'll try it.

Jamie said...

You should just get a copy of our whole family cookbook! =) My mom is an AWESOME cook!

Kelly and Camille said...

Alexia said she liked it and she doesn't like much so I'll have to try it too. Thanks for posting it!