Sunday, June 25, 2006

Opportunities at every turn.

Interestingly enough I have found another great opportunity arising from Katanya's premature birth. Last sunday morning while the doctors were doing their final tests on Amy and Katanya there was another woman in labor giving birth to a 10 week premature baby. She gave birth to Aspen at 9:30 AM weighing 3 lbs 9 oz. Later that night around 10 pm we were in the NICU watching Katanya and Aspen's mother came in sobbing. I guess she had given birth that morning and was checking herself out of the hospital that night. She introduced herself as Niokole and we talked for a few moments. I guess that she did not have insurance and had a 7 year, and 10 month old little boy at home. She lives with her boyfriend (who is the father of her 10 month old). As it turns out she lives about 1 1/2 miles from my house in the next ward boundary over. She did not seem to be the active member type ... if even a member at all. Her boyfriend came in and said hello ...they seemed very nice ... just seemed like they were really struggling.
The next day in the hospital I noticed that Nikole did not come in to see her baby. I figured I would try to track her down to see if she needed any help.
Tuesday morning I had to go out to our new house to pick up some things so I figured I would stop by her house to make sure things were ok. Turns out they live in a 1960's double wide trailer that looks like a hurricane hit it. I knocked on the door a few times and finally a 12 year old boy answered ... he was Nikole's little brother and was there trying to help her. Nikole was in bed so I told him who I was and said I would return later.
Later that night Kirsten and I swung by their house. She let us in and was happy to talk to us and have visitors. She said her boyfriend worked late but that they were going to go in to see the baby later that night. I asked what the neighbor's had said when they found out she had the baby so many weeks premature. She responded that no one even knew. After about 10 minutes her boyfriend came home and we talked for another 20 minutes.
We left and I drove down the road to the church house to see if I could find anyone in the bishopric. All I could find was the young woman's leader but I gave her all the info and said that it might be a great time to get to know the family bette rand that they could probably use some help.
Thursday night at the hospital I ran into her and asked if she had any pics of her baby ... she said no because she did not have a camera so I said I would take a few for her. She came back to the NICU with us and we took a few pics for her. I dropped them by her house on friday and she
was so excited.
I just really feel like it is more than a coincidence that two neighbors have premature baby's on the same day in the same place. I am excited to see where our friendship might lead. Sadly though her baby has a few heart problems and she stops breathing every so often. Her baby is down to 3lbs 1 oz. Hopefully things will get better for her.
Friday night we brought the family to see Katanya. Me missed McKay ... she is in Utah. Kirsten enjoyed holding her leg and feeding her, Cruz really did not know what to think of the situation.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

I hope that things work out with your neighbor.

I noticed that Katanya has a soothie pacifier. If you got to this link
http://www.soothie-pacifier.com/?OVRAW=Soothie%20pacifier&OVKEY=soothie%20pacifier&OVMTC=standard

You can see some cool other soothie things. The little animals attached to the soothies help to keep them in your babies mouth. I got one for Hazel they were pretty cool. They also have preemie sized ones and larger sized ones for later. I know the hospital only gives you one. More is always better with binkies.

grannybabs said...

As a R.S. Pres. I see "Nikoles" all the time - and it's heartbreaking - because as a teacher I see the kids from these homes in my classroom - and they have so much going against them.

I hope someone does help your neighbor - and the gospel would be a good place to start.