Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Things looking up!

On a postive note ...they removed Katanya's ventilation tubes tonight. We were surprised that it was so soon. She still has little oxygen tubes in her nose but her little lungs are doing all the work.

ON a bad note ...the women who hit Amy did not even spend 3 hours in jail before she was bonded out. She was originally booked on driving with a suspended license. I wonder if she even has any idea of what she caused to haapen to my family ...my guess is that she has no clue.

I spoke with the county prosecuter this morning and he said that the lab results came back and it is now a DUI officially. She will be re-arrested and then arraigned in about 2 weeks.

Unfortunately 1st time offenders in Idaho get a maximum of 6 months jail and a max fine of 2000 plus restittuion. The prosecuter told me that if you were pulled over for weaving and turned out to be drunk the judge would generally give you 2 or 3 days in jail and a 1000 dollar fine with 2 years probation.

He said that since there was bodily injury and premature birth the woman is more likely to get in the 3 - 6 month range. It is sad that my little girl will spend more days in the hospital than this woman will spend in jail. The law needs to be changed.


Amy is right ..I am a FADD advocate. I now have a zero tolerance attitude towards driving while drinking ... especially when you are underage. Harry keep locking them up ...even little dui accidents can lead to dire consequences. $10 in booze can cause $500,000 in damages.

5 comments:

Hester said...

YAY!

Betsy said...

I'm glad that she is breathing on her own. the Lord is really blessing you.

Donna said...

I am also really glad she is doing better. Prayer and fasting works.

Min said...

I'm so glad that Katanya is doing so well. Hope fully she will continue to improve at this rate.

grannybabs said...

You can understand the passion of MADD and FADD members - especially when you know the "other side" which most drunk drivers probably don't or conveniently forget.

I have always had zero tolerance for any and all susbstance abuse.