Thursday, June 29, 2006

Keep it coming!

Just an update with Katanya once again. We went in today and her IV was gone! We were so excited. (Exspecially since the last few days it was in her head. It looked rather painful but wasn't. I guess the veins in the head are a little tougher and they last longer).

She is up to 38ML on her feedings and she has zero resididuals, which means she has digested everything. Her goal is 44ML which is her calorie intake. Then they will start trying the bottle and nipple.

This afternoon I got to give her a bath. This was a first time for me. It's so different when you have a premie baby and you are trying to be so careful with her. It was very special though and I am grateful for her progress! I never would have imagined that it would be doing this well after only eleven days.

Her weight as of last night was 2000 grams. This is roughly four pounds and 7 ounces. She has put on a little over an ounce a day. (an ounce is almost 29 grams). It reminds me of Kirsten and how she was 6.0 pounds when she was born and on her two week check-up she was a little over 11 pounds. I always say it's the "magic" milk.

Aspen is still doing good. She has lost weight the last couple of days. She was moved into an Isolette as well. She is now on the other side of the room so you don't "hear" as much. (The privacy act and all that good stuff). I haven't seen her mom for almost a week. We continue to pray for her though.

Someone (I think Eliza) asked where her name came from. Jake always like Katya and I loved Anya. So we combined them and came up with Katanya. We have had that name since a year after Kirsten was born. Jake just always likes to have his "secrets". Her middle names came from a few different ways. I always liked the name Isabelle. We just couldn't agree on how to spell it. We were just going to name her Katanya Isabelle when a few weeks before she was born we were watching Numbers and I liked the name Amida for a middle name. I told Jacob that I liked the name but I couldn't decide which one I liked so Jake suggested we use both. He has always wanted to have multiple names for our kids. I agreed and that's how we came up with Katanya Amida Isabelle Kerksiek. He then asked if we could change the rest of the kids names to four names. (ha ha).

We are very grateful for all the help. Especially for Maddy and Axel. She has helped me tons. It's nice just knowing that I can go into the hospital in the morning and evening and know my kids are safe. It has made my life a lot easier. Thanks Maddy! She has also helped me in all the "lifting" aspects. I didn't realize when they said you shouldn't lift it meant you CAN'T lift. (physically) It's almost impossible or you will be in pain. Thanks again.

9 comments:

Hester said...

hey amy, that is so great that she is doing so well. the very fact that she doesn't have an IV anymore says something major. yay!

Felipe and Erika said...

Amy, I am so HAPPY she is doing so well. She looks so good and she's not even 2 weeks old! She is really starting to look alot like Kirsten when she was born. We are excited to see you on Monday! Be prepared-- you are not allowed to do anything but relax while I am there. No cooking, laundry or cleaning!!!I mean it!

amy k said...

Erika, we are excited as well. It's hard to sit still. I have to admit that I haven't been the best on following the rules. Although most of it has just been easy work. I don't lift, that's the major thing.

Betsy said...

I am glad that Katanya is doing so well. The magic milk really works. Hazel was the same way. She put on almost 2 pounds the first week and 1 pound a week for the next month. I love fat babies. They seem less fagile. I'm glad that you used four names for her. We almost did for Hazel and I still regret it. I think that I am going to have er name changed and add the one I wanted. I just need to hurry and do it before she realizes the difference.

Felipe and Erika said...

I noticed she is wearing clothes! What size is her onesie that she has on? She looks so good--- what a miracle!

Donna said...

She just looks so pink and heathly I love her littler onise being dressed must be a big accomplishment.

amy k said...

It's a premie. Although it fits her just right so I don't think she will be wearing premies very long. She is dressed in a little outfit today. It looks so cute! I will take pics when I take the kids over.

Phoebe said...

She is doing wo well! I can't believe it. We have a couple of friends who had babies 8 weeks early and now you can't even tell. Amazing!

bonny with a Y said...

it's always family that comes through when you need them.

good job maddie and axel.