Saturday, April 05, 2008

All in a day's work

The last couple of days it's been the typical housewife scenerio for me. Grocery shopping, helping teachers at school, cooking, laundry and cleaning the house. (Might I add, Jake insists that cleaning a house shouldn't take longer than ONE hour? I keep telling him he's crazy. It took me three hours to do just the upstairs. I didn't even get started on the basement. I also really hate bathrooms and now I have three to clean!) Anyway back to the post. Then while shopping at Wal-mart, by chance I walked by the fabric department and saw some cute summer dresses hanging up with new fabric that had come in. I couldn't resist. I decided to make two dresses for each girl. I guess it was time to pull the sewing machine out early this year. This dress only took me one day to make.... Okay, I lied. It took me honestly 15 minutes. It comes this way. Gathered at the top and straight on the bottom. You measure around the chest minus an inch and have your piece cut. Come home sew up the back, put in a hem, and add the ribbon for sleeves. Easy as one two three. The hardest and longest part was getting Katanya to hold still so i could measure her and find where I needed the hem. The best part was....it was under five dollars to make!
I couldn't get her to hold still for me to get a couple shots so here is the best back view. They even have material for older girls that you can do the same thing, or there is a pattern that you can add sleeves. Oh yeah, why would anyone pay over 6 dollars for the pattern? People obviously did because it was out of stock but come on, use your brain. It's pretty cut and dry.

I only have one dilema after pulling out the sewing machine and buying fabric. In Cruz's words...."Mom, I want a diego boy dress."

Oh no.

4 comments:

Eliza said...

i was going to be really impressed that you did all that smocking plus construct the dress in under 15 mins!

then again smocking is a complete mystery to me. maybe it is easier than i think.

Laura said...

Cute dress! Great idea to quickly put them together and I love that it was so cheap too. Fun project that looks adorable!I'm impressed.

Felipe and Erika said...

Amy, very cute and I love easy and simple-- that's my motto when it comes to enjoyable sewing! I especially love Katanya's smile and Cruz's question! Hannah brought Daisyta the box of clothes today and she was very excited:)

Betsy said...

cute dresses! I like the way you did the ribbon.