Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Climbing into a freezer

Jake and I are being cheap. Our propane tank has run out of propane and we don't want to fill it with all these outrages prices. Our heater only kicks onto the propane when it's too cold to "efficiently" use electricity. So during the day the heater is turned on while during the night we are burning wood in our fabulous fireplace. I really love this thing. I have never seen one put off heat like this one. The downstairs is usually is the warmest (don't ask me how) when the heater is on so the girls are just fine. This all was working good until.....

We left to Utah for a week and turned the heater off. We came home to a chilling 49 degrees inside our house. I scrambled for heavy pajamas and quickly dressed all the kids in two pair, one light and their blanket pj's over the top. While Jake unhitched and unloaded I quickly started a fire. It took all night and all day to catch up today. Here comes the worst part.

Last night was miserable. I'm not so sure being cheap is the answer anymore. In fact what was I thinking? Imagine yourself climbing into a welcoming bed that you have been missing so dearly while sleeping on an uncomfortable air mattress. Except while climbing in, it's basically climbing into a refrigerator. I put this off last night for the longest time. We kept on watching one more recorded show that we missed just because we new how cold our bed was. We finally had to surrender to sleep and do it. Now thinking, maybe I should invest into a pair of blanket pj's. Ha ha.

I forgot to mention the best part about coming home. The snow was all melted at my house!!!! They also forecast 50's this weekend!!! Now the sad question....WHY DOES 50 SEEM SO WARM ?

6 comments:

Jacob said...

Question: Is burning wood considered "Being Green"? I mean technically I am not using any fossil fuels and it is totally renewable.

Earl and Vickie said...

Nope, still creating carbon. To be "green" you would have to offset the creation of the carbon with something that locks carbon.

Keli said...

We had the opposite problem one year. Came home from a week long trip to a house where the heater had never turned off. The water in the toilet was evaporated, the plastic shower curtain was melted to the tub, and It was 90 in the house! Our next power bill was over $400! Ouch!

So sorry about the cold. 50 is warm when you've been living in the teens. It was 60 here yesterday, and it seemed weird to go outside without a coat on. I felt kinda naughty.

Betsy said...

if you're growing trees for your nursery does that offset the fire burning? Most people don't grow thousands of trees in their back yard:)

amy k said...

Good point. We planted over 6000 last and that will be at least the same this year. I think that counts as something.

Laura said...

Brutal! I hope you guys have warmed up!